.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Clyde and George go to science camp!


Remember how our cute nephew George visited us last summer to attend a science day camp? Well, he came again this year (I think that officially makes it a tradition!) and Clyde got to go too, woo!
 Here they are heading in to camp the first morning. This is the same program that I worked at for like ten summers in a row back in the day (first as a counselor, then a teacher/assistant director) so it was slightly crazy to send Clyde off as a camper.

 Melissa and Courtney and Lily brought George up and then stayed for a couple of nights, which was super fun.
 Lily and Will spent most of the day adorably playing 'school' :).

Monday night found us outside for FHE; Will taught our lesson and then the kids rode bikes and played as our activity. And we obviously needed delicious ice cream sundaes for our treat!

 Chuck had promised the boys a game of freeze tag before bed, and what followed was the most hilarious sibling interaction I'd witnessed all day: Chuck trying to evade his big sister all around the front yard (and vice versa!!):
 I almost died laughing - my favorite was the two of them bent over by the tree (Chuck was taking his 10 second break and Melissa may have been puppy guarding) as they commiserated about being old :).

 And then I did a double take as I watched George continually trying to outrun his big sister all over the front yard:
 I almost wished Quinn were around so I could crazily chase him... but I settled for holding Jack (to keep him from getting run over!) and collecting photographic evidence of the fun.

 Our last activity Monday night was making the boys crazy hats to wear the next day at camp. Since they were in the orange group, I gathered as many little orange objects as I could find around the house and we hot glued them to plastic hats:
 And to complete the effect, the boys dressed in as much orange as possible. Will and Lily were pretty insistent that they get in on the crazy hat action as well, so we busted out the paper bowls and they were thrilled :).

  Camp was the main activity all week, but we also fit in t-ball practices, Cub Scouts (George got to come with me!), and we made time for ice cream cones.

Mismatch outfit day at camp:
 There was only so much we could do with their actual clothes (and still be comfortable/able to participate in camp activities) but George came up with sharing his socks. The camp staff loved it!

Thursday was Aloha Day and we had lots of fun getting the boys decked out. It was also the day I spent at camp volunteering (Volunteering = discount. Former staff = discount. Discounts = Clyde getting to go, summer camps are expensive!!), so I was able to tag along to their classes and see their cute little creative minds in action:

 One of their favorite activities was taking apart an old object or appliance and then attempting to make a catapult out of it; by the end of the week they were able to launch a rubber ducky!

 On Friday afternoon there was a slideshow presentation and the boys led us on a tour of their classes as we gathered all of their projects.
Clyde and George had a great week with their counselor Anna and their junior counselor Cole (another surreal moment for me since Cole was just a wee camper back when I taught!). I'm glad that the boys had so much fun; it was such a big part of my life those summers and it's fun to see it from the perspective of a parent now. And we loved having George stay with us - hopefully the tradition continues next year!!


1 comment:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

I've been a slacker at commenting on your blog, but you should know that I read it faithfully and thoroughly LOVE every entry! You have such a way with words and wit that is just addictive! I'm so glad that Camp Invention was fun for the boys!