.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A fond farewell to June

After a slow start, June definitely picked up and turned out to be an awesomely busy month, leading up to the culmination of last week: I taught at a summer day camp all day every day, Chuck worked and then had all day training for three days straight and some of Chuck's family came into town for a wedding and stayed with us.

The summer camp job was pretty last minute; I've done it in summers previous but wasn't planning on it this year. Then the director had to drop out so my mom (who usually directs it anyways) took over and hired me, which I really appreciated. It was a great opportunity to earn some money and look ridiculous doing it:
Every day of camp has a different theme and this was "wacky outfit day". My mom actually thought she could dress wackier than I could, obviously she was mistaken.
I absolutely adore the kids at camp, and luckily they adore me too! Neal was hands-down my favorite this year, even though he was one of the oldest campers (going in to 6th grade) and had the attitude to prove it. This was doodled on the 'staff' table in the cafeteria.
Karsyn was another sweetheart who we had last year as well. It's nice of her to include my mom here too, although the size of the names clearly indicates who the favorite is :) Camp can sometimes be stressful, but this year went really smoothly. The other teachers were our good friend Matt and my cousin Amanda, which meant a lot of fun (maybe too much) cleaning up the last day and divying up the extra camp supplies.

Between Chuck, my brother Cody, and my good friend Leslie we had childcare Monday-Wednesday figured out, but that still left Thursday and Friday. Luckily we found out that Chuck's dad Dave was coming into town on Wednesday evening and we promptly secured him as our nanny for the last two days of the week. 'Pops' and the boys had a great time!
Here's a tired Will at dinner on Wednesday night; Pops treated us after he got into town.
The next night we had a picnic dinner at the park and Chuck and Clyde enjoyed the swings, as always.

Saturday night my mom and I (and the little boys) went to a beautiful backyard wedding reception. I didn't get any pictures of the bride, but I promise Kiley looked gorgeous!
Clyde excitedly awaited as Grandma doled out the treats they had selected together. Despite his apparent eagerness here, Will turned his nose up at everything, even cake. Nut.
Mom got to catch up with some good friends, including the mother of the bride.
And I was grateful to survive the evening; Will refused to stay still. He kept running off to stand next to the big speaker and dance to the music, which meant I started many conversations only to apologetically run off when it looked like he was either going to blast his eardrums completely or start pressing buttons.

Lastly, this weekend felt a bit like Christmas - as in, I got spoiled! First up, Chuck's parents bought us a beautiful upright freezer for our garage to say happy anniversary:
Don't mind the fingerprints; I'm obviously not used to stainless steel appliances!
Oooh and aaah for as long as necessary before moving on. It also came with the promise of my mother-in-law cooking some meals for us to freeze to help out with the upcoming fall semester. Yay!

And then my sweet husband came through on something I've been wanting forever: bikes and a bike trailer! The summer after Clyde was born I had an old Huffy with a child bike seat on the back, but it was stolen (technically, it was traded - they left another bike in my front yard and took mine. Weird). Chuck's dad actually bought me another one before Christmas, but we hadn't been able to get it up here so Chuck went ahead and picked up a new bike for each of us and a bike trailer for the little boys. He stayed up late Monday night getting them all set up and we went for two fun bike rides today:

He was actually reaching for the camera to take a picture of me, but I took a picture of him instead. I'm sneaky like that.
Here I am with the little boys! We ordered an extra bracket so that we'll be able to more easily move the trailer between our two bikes, which is good because it's HEAVY! I will totally admit that there were a couple steep-ish hills today that I had to walk the bike up.
Clyde and Will really like bike rides, although they are not big fans of the helmets. Sadly for them, I'm a big fan of keeping their heads and brains intact, so the helmets will stay!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for letting us come and hang out with you guys! Love the new bikes!!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

This whole post made me laugh. I love your crazy outfits! I'm sad I missed Kiley's wedding, but I'm really glad you went. Write more tomorrow okay?

Missy08 said...

wow that is so cool yes those bike carriers are heavy on steep hills I had to walk to when I rode with my kids usually I make vance take them lol

Leslie said...

You think the little boys were heavy. You should have seen me with Keyan AND Jazlyn in it last summer. No wonder I blew a tire on a goat head! Getting that tire fixed is on our to do list still so you can tell how motivated I was to lug 100+ pounds around again. (Getting Keyan riding his own bike is also on our to do list.)

Sam and Terri said...

That is a pretty handy little trailer. Sam wants to know if it hooks up to the back of the truck. He thinks it would come in pretty handy for days when you are exceptionally tired.