.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

I.I.F.F.F.L. 2008

It's a little embarrassing to admit this, but I don't really understand football. People have tried to explain it to me, so I sort of know how it works: I know that you have four downs to get a first down, I know there's an offense and a defense, and I know what a touchdown is. But when I watch a game I have to wait until Chuck reacts to a play before I know what happened and how I should react (this is especially difficult if I'm purposefully rooting for the other team because I then have to react the OPPOSITE of how he's reacting). Chuck loves football, both on the collegiate (go BSU!) and professional levels, so two years ago he convinced me to start playing 'fantasy football' (so that we could count Monday Night Football as FHE) and we haven't looked back! Our league is called the I.I.F.F.F.L. - Izatt Invitational Family Fantasy Football League. In 2006, our debut year, it was comprised of Chuck, me, Quinn, and my mom. We did everything by hand, writing out our rosters every week and keeping track on a scoreboard on my living room wall - right next to our draft boards. Thanks to the tutoring session from the jock-y teachers at her school, my mom drafted Peyton Manning that year and her AFC team ended up winning our league Super Bowl. The next year we expanded to include our good friends Leslie and Matt, and also went digital by using the resources at ESPN.com to track our teams and scores, as well as trash talk one another. That year Matt won (although I came in second!). This year Quinn obviously has to sit out (we wrote him a Dear John letter to rub it in), so Sam and Terri are co-replacing him. The draft was long but very fun and we're now into the second week of the season, which means I actually pay attention when Sports Center and PTI are on (scary!).
The I.I.F.F.F.L. drafts through the years:
This is from our draft in 2006 - August 29th, two nights before I went into labor with Clyde.

My job every year is creating the poster boards and namecards for the draft and then trying to keep up during the draft (three drafts later and I still don't remember to get double sided tape).

Here's the draft (on Clyde's birthday) in 2007, oddly enough I'm pregnant here too! Although not as noticably, I was only about eight weeks along.


Draft 2008: we went with a more vibrant board and a non-pregnant Jana.

Funny story: after the draft, Leslie, my mom, and I are happy to move on and talk about other things, but Chuck and Matt were all about studying the teams and (over)analyzing them. It should be noted that Sam and Terri were unable to be at the rescheduled draft, so Chuck very honestly drafted for them (he even gave them Eagles Running Back Brian Westbrook when their pick came up before his).


Here are the I.I.F.F.F.L. 2008 draft boards, one AFC and one NFC. I really think they jazz up my living room decor :)


8 comments:

Leslie said...

Love the pictures, especially Matt and Chuck continuing long after the draft was done! Next year, I'll bring the double sided tape. :)

Connie and Brandon said...

That is a very pretty board. I love football! I am behind the times on all the fantasy football stuff and things you can get in on. I just watch the games (and usually just college). Good luck this 2008:)

mama izatt said...

Looks like lots of fun...again! I love listening to the talk of teams and I am always lost. If I had good help at school like your mom I might join. Dad is no help at all. Sometimes we think Chuck is in the wrong family (However my dad was a real football guy).

lazyizzy said...

Jana!

I saw the I.I.F.F.F.L title and I automatically knew what it was about.

I wish I lived in Boise and could do this.

Did you make an honorary spot for Quinn?

PS my blog site changed to izzyizatt.blogspot.com

I had to for the class im in

jayna said...

I have no idea what any of this is about, abhorring football in all of it's forms (real or otherwise)...but the picture of a very pregnant you sitting on the floor like that was enough to make me laugh!

Unknown said...

I think you should post on your blog more often. I am on the computer a lot for homework and when it gets to be too much I check your blog and I'm always happy when there is a post. You are funny. Love love!

Lindsay said...

This is so cute. Quirky family traditions are the best. =)

Holly Cameron said...

You guys are so cool. I love that you were prego in both pics. Funny.