.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

School daze

I regret to inform you that Clyde's birthday extravaganza post has been pushed back another day (I'm lazy and there are SO many pictures to share) so instead I'll catch up with my 'first day of school' post. I'm taking fifteen credits at Boise State this semester (four evening classes and one online class) and hopefully I'll be able to graduate in December of 2009. So far the boys are doing really well during my absences - they love their time alone with Daddy or Grandma! For the actual first day of school last Monday, I dressed Will and Clyde in BSU blue and orange:
And then they shared some love in the kitchen:

And because I'm cheesy, here's my first day of school picture in our front yard by the tree; I figure this will be a good spot to take our kids' pictures in their school-attending futures.
And finally, a funny (and long, sorry!) school-related story from tonight: My main mode of transportation this semester will be the ValleyRide bus that goes back and forth between the BSU West Campus in Nampa and the BSU Main Campus in Boise (students can ride it for free!). I only took it once last week, but it was fun and easy and although it required more of a time commitment, it was free. Tonight I decided to drive in to Boise with Chuck and have him drop me off at school on his way to work; I figured I'd just bus it home. Two hours into my class it dawned on me that I'd forgotten to leave a car at the west campus and would be stranded upon my return to Nampa. Of course I hadn't bothered to leave my mom the car seats, so she wouldn't be able to come retrieve me either - so upon my arrival at the bus stop, I cased out the potential for ride-mooching. (Sidenote: I called Chuck and his advice was to find an older, grandmother-ly type. I reminded him there aren't many of those on the BSU bus after dark). It was just my luck that neither my friend from my ward nor the nice woman I got to know last week were on the bus tonight, so I waited until all thirteen of us had gotten on the bus (it's a smaller, yes, shorter, bus) and then shared my lack of planning with my fellow riders. Sure enough, several people volunteered to give me a ride and the task ended up falling on a VERY nice guy who I recognized - we had a class together two semesters ago. He even lives somewhat close, so I wasn't too much of a hassle, which is good! Leslie, you should also be grateful to this guy (I should probably figure out his name . . . ) because you were Plan B!

(Another sidenote: I'm thisclose to getting my mom on the blogging bandwagon, and if I succeed, hopefully one of her first entries will be about the time she got stranded (penniless, of course) in a New York City airport overnight and WENT HOME with a total stranger - a twenty-something year old taxi driver who slept in his car so she could stay in his apartment and then brought her breakfast in the morning. And lest you think this was in her wild and crazy youth, she was actually a tad shy of fifty-one.)

7 comments:

Melissa said...

YEA! for being on the downhill slope and almost done. Plan C should be call Melissa and have her take you home. You know now that I am unemployed and what not. :)

jayna said...

My mother will have an absolute heart attack reading that you got a ride with some guy. Then she'll tell my Dad and he'll probably look you up just to leave a tongue-lashing reminding you of how dangerous that was.

Me, I just laugh. You're so brave!

Connie and Brandon said...

Wow! Crazy stories. I am glad you were able to get home. I think you are taking after your mother:)

Leslie said...

Wow! You outted your mom on your blog. I didn't think she was telling many people the story about going home with the taxi driver, lest we all fear for her safety and question her judgement. Guess the cat's out of the bag on that one!
And in the future, call me for Plan B. Even though you've moved to Nampa it doesn't seem like I see you much more often! ;)

mama izatt said...

I probably have a story to match yours...but not your mom's. The day before school was to start I was at school till midnight getting ready. Finally ready I went to drive home and the car wouldn't start. I couldn't get dad to wake up and answer the phone so I DID have to walk all the way home, wake up dad, and go back to school to get the car (it was parked on the playground and I couldn't leave it there). I think by the time I hit the bed it was after 2:00. Did I tell you this already? Sorry for repeating myself.

Love the first day of school picture by the way. The boys look like they will be great cheerleaders for you!

Sam said...

Hey if you ever get stranded again I actually sleep just a little ways down from the drop off parking lot under the freeway over pass, next time just walk on over and and for a dollar I'll push you home in my Fred Meyer shopping cart.

Holly Cameron said...

Ok. First clyde is so adorable little. I don't know. He's just so cute. Second. Your front yard tree you posed by is so big now compared to 'back in the day' haha. I love it. Annnnnnd. Holy cow! Grandma Pam being stranded in NYC...scary. (I love that you have an I heart NY shirt on in this post)