.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sunday Best 2013

[Background: in a bout of shallowness, I made a goal a couple of years ago to wear a different outfit to church every Sunday for a few months. Then I extended it to a full year. And then I did it the next year. This is the third year I've made (and kept!) this silly resolution. I do it because I really don't get dressed during the week; I wear athletic shorts and t-shirts and such, so Sunday is my day to make an effort and wear fancy stuff. And it justifies my ridiculous collection of skirts and dresses, most of which I've either had since high school, were gifts, or were bought at DI/Savers. Plus it's a fun creative exercise; I usually try to coordinate my outfits with a holiday/seasonal color scheme or something like that.]

So I'm doing this post a couple of months early this year, so it only covers January through October. I figure November signaled the start of pregnancy/baby bump pictures (that will be all chronicled together next May-ish) since that's when I hit 12 weeks, and try as I might, my midsection prior to that couldn't reeeeally be attributed to a baby :).

JANUARY:
Things to note: the first week was the debut of my super cute grey skirt with orange/blue/cream stitching that my mother-in-law had just given me for Christmas. The second week was the debut of my new orange belt, a birthday gift from the awesome Maren. The third week was my effort to cheer on the 49ers in their playoff game. The fourth week was an homage to the ice and snow that wouldn't ever melt.

FEBRUARY
Only three weeks this month; I stayed home from stake conference with sick kids and sent Chuck instead. The first outfit is obviously for Valentine's Day and shows my serious lack of pink clothing/accessories, the next week I subbed in gospel doctrine so I had to look legitimate and wear something that wouldn't show sweat/nerves, and the last week was the Academy Awards so that's what I threw together.

MARCH
Ehh, things get hazy this month. The middle outfit was obviously St. Patrick's Day and the last one was Easter. I don't think there was necessarily a rhyme or reason to the other three...

APRIL
Once again, only three since I don't get dressed up for General Conference. The first outfit I had a navy blue cardigan that I should have kept on for the picture; I think it kind of pulled the whole outfit together. 

 MAY
 Random assortment... I think the last week was going for patriotic for Memorial Day.

 JUNE
 First week I wore my old high school colors to commemorate the tenth anniversary of my graduation. Week two is my awesome embroidered vest; this year I wore it buttoned, which I liked better. The fourth week I obviously wish I could take back. I really really wanted that dress to be cute and flattering and it juuuust wasn't. It went to the clothing swap a couple weeks later. And the last week was my Independence Day outfit!

 JULY
 The second picture makes me happy because I feel like such a rebel when I do things like mix black and brown :). The next week's outfit looks alarmingly like one from May but upon further inspection you can see that my necklace and hair flower clip were different. A little sketchy, I admit, but I had gotten home from Oregon like twelve hours previous, so leave me alone. The last Sunday was the debut of my RED hair so I figured I'd lessen the shock with some red accessories.

 AUGUST
 Week one was in Utah and I forgot to do a 'real' picture, so that rear view will have to do :). The next week was my ode to my dear mom for her birthday: she loves pink and green. The third week's dress was the result of birthday shopping with my mom at the Boise Savers; it was BRAND NEW WITH TAGS and I love it so, so much. I think I'll wear it this Sunday now that I think about it... (don't worry, I'll add leggings or something). Week four was to mark the kickoff of the college football season!

SEPTEMBER
 Week one was on Clyde's birthday, so I wore his favorite colors, which he thought was pretty great. Sorry for the action shot on week three, the others were even less flattering. Week five was a rainy day, so I happily wore my new Savers grey dress with all different shades of blue accessories.

OCTOBER
Again, only three weeks due to General Conference but I fit a lot of Halloween goodness in there! The first week I wore my spider web tights, which I really really love. The next week features a festive vest from... my dad! Love him. And the last week was the Sunday of Halloween week so I got to wear my awesome orange and black tights! They make me happy. 

As does that black dress - if you scroll back through, that dress makes an appearance four times in those ten months, more than any other dress/skirt. And it's also the oldest article of clothing pictured; my mom and I bought it for probably $15 at Mervyn's when I was in 9th grade in 1999 - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Yeah. I was just shy of fifteen at the time. I wore it to Sam's high school graduation a few months later, my high school graduation a few years later, my college graduation a few years after that. It's seriously the MVP of my closet.

And thus concludes my brief foray into being a fashion blogger. If only Savers would sponsor me, haha!

8 comments:

Holly Cameron said...

Ok. This is awesome. I was hoping all the sundays of the year would be documented somehow. Now you have to do one with all the boy's outfits cause I know you take pics of them too! Cute. You're just so cute in all of em'. I think my favorites are Clyde's birthday, kickoff to boise state, your blue maxi skirt for your high school anniversary, of course st patty's and halloween, and the sunday you taught sunday school. Seriously. I love you and I love that you love savers. And I love that you put all this together. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love your fashion sense. I find I go with the same outfits over and over again. To top it off, I usually wear to school on Monday what I wore on Sunday. I'm lazy that way. The clothes are out, they didn't get dirty, and I don't have to think Monday morning. I am definitely impressed.

Terri

Izzy said...

This is seriously my favorite part of your vlog..: love it!! Ok really your cute kids are number one. This is a very close number two

Izzy said...

This is seriously my favorite part of your vlog..: love it!! Ok really your cute kids are number one. This is a very close number two

Izzy said...

This is seriously my favorite part of your vlog..: love it!! Ok really your cute kids are number one. This is a very close number two

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Conclusion: the orange belt REALLY works for you!

Helen said...

You are so cool Jana. Seriously. Thrift stores are where. It's. At!

jayna said...

Two thumbs up. Although no one should ever take fashion advice from me! :)

I just love that you did this. What a treasure for your grandkids to look back on and say OOOOHHHH wasn't Grandma DARLILLLLLIIINNNGGG?!! *you will probably have all granddaughters so it's their voice you hear saying this.*