.

Friday, November 22, 2013

A belated birthday present for Chuck


Chuck and I have a running joke of sorts about how he frequently has to talk me into things that end up being awesome. And mostly they're things that make MY life a gazillion times easier, which adds so much intrigue as to why I drag my feet about them in the first place... sigh.

SO, as a special birthday present (a day late) for Chuck, here's a rundown of just SOME of the things he's given his seal of approval to right of the bat...
that I had to be talked into and then gave my seal of approval.
(apologies that both these pictures are semi-blurry and that Dan Swenson has his arm around Chuck's shoulder in that shot. Turns out we have less than a plethora of pictures with our thumbs up - obviously something we'll be remedying....)

1. Film cameras vs. digital cameras
Ah, an oldie but a goodie from back in the day. I was one of those people (at least I hope I wasn't the only one...) who was initially really hesitant about digital photography. I fancied myself an idealist who championed the 'real' nature of film photography and eschewed the cheap imitation that digital would offer. Chuck shook his head regularly and continued to shove the digital camera into our hands until I saw the light and started snapping three hundred pictures a month :).

2. DVR
Okay, this one I think is kind of a stretch (especially since we haven't even had satellite or DVR for over a year) but we'll include it on a technicality. When we first got Direct TV back in... '06... we included DVR in our order, but there was a mix-up and the technician didn't set it up. In all of my non-confrontational-ness, I told Chuck it was fine and that we didn't need DVR. He insisted we call back and get it fixed. And boy was I glad!!

3. A bigger, fancier crock pot:
We got a wonderful little crock pot when we got married (it's the green and white one in the corner) but a few years ago Chuck brought home a bigger one - with a 'warm' option! I was sure this was an extravegance that we didn't need, but all of the delicious meals that Chuck has made in it since (and, hey, quite a few that I've made) have sold me on its value in the Izatt kitchen.

4. Along the same lines, our griddle:
Pulling it all the way out for a picture seemed like a lot of work, haha. Chuck brought this bad boy home a few years ago (probably around the same time as the crock pot and also the same time i stopped sending him to Walmart by himself...) and I was, again, dubious. But then he showed me the magic - cooking multiple pancakes/grilled cheese sandwiches/quesedillas/etc at the SAME time and convinced me that I was worth such convenience. And my life has never been the same.

5. And finally, the most recent example - parking our van in the garage:
(rest assured there are loads more examples but I'm short on time and long on pride...)
A month of two ago, Chuck brought up the idea of cleaning out the garage a bit so that I could park the van in there. I immediately vetoed the idea - it would be a lot of work, garages are for stuff not cars, I don't mind parking outside, etc. He reminded me that I refuse to scrape windows (I seriously can't take the sound of scraping. Shivers are going down my spine just thinking of it) and I reminded him that I have no qualms about wasting money and destroying the ozone layer by letting the van idle for a few minutes every morning.

Finally Chuck took advantage of his dad being in town last month and got. it. done. They had to rearrange things - move the upright freezer and gun safe to the side and move the food storage shelves to the front - but they did it, and now the Uplander gets tucked safely in the garage each night (and usually during the day as well).

And I love it. It's amazing to just waltz out every morning and buckle everyone in to a not-freezing car and head over to school with complete visibility. 

And the fact that Chuck embarked upon all that hard work and effort for someone who was fighting him about it is incredible - especially considering this is what he goes outside to every morning:
Except that this picture was taken at 10am and he leaves for work at 5:20am, so minus a few degrees for the temperature and add a cover of darkness. Hard to believe he didn't clean out the garage so he could park in there himself, eh?

BUT, lest you think our marriage is entirely one-sided and that Chuck has all the brains and foresight and I'm just along for the ride, I'd remind you that after some pretty serious flirtation and Chuck having my phone number, I'm the one who had to call him - the phone call that led to our first date and now nine and a half years of marriage. Soooo I think I win on that one :).
Here we are last night on Chuck's real birthday! (Ignore the blurriness and the photobomb by a picture of Jesus :).)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHUCK! I SURE DO LOVE YOU!

7 comments:

Maren said...

I laughed all over again. :) You guys are awesome!

Holly Cameron said...

Ok. I would call/text you right now to tell you how adorable this is..but I don't want to distract you as you depart to go out on your cute little adventure tonight! Seriously though. This is cute. And now that I think of it...I think I have a list like this too. Good ole Husbands. Happy Birthday Chuck!!

Leslie said...

Welcome to the world of (at least somewhat) warm cozy cars in the morning. You'll never go back!

Sherry said...

Garages are for vehicles. There is no disputing this. We have lots of neighbors who park outside, and it boggles my mind. Some even have 3-car garages and still can't fit their vehicles in. Sometimes is wrong with their priorities.

Rachel Lloyd said...

I love this! I don't understand how they are right so stinkin' often. haha Yay for a warm van!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

So funny Jana! Love that Jesus photobombed. I'm so glad that Chuck came into your life and you made sure that you guys ended up together and then he's made your life so much richer and you have three cute boys and can park your car in the garage.

jayna said...

He sounds like a forward thinking keeper of a guy for sure!!

Lol about the photobomb.

And, we don't have a DVR. I'm backwards as they come.