.

Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: What I wore to church each week (absolutely as boring as it sounds)


One of my 'goober' New Year's Resolutions for 2011 was to wear a different outfit to church every week for at least . . . four months (?). I ended up extending it for the whole year because a) it was really fun and b) I was pregnant and it forced me to put effort into getting dressed at least once a week.

I was kind of undecided about 2012, especially since I basically started off the year on maternity leave from church for three weeks so that germy people wouldn't get my baby sick. I was also undecided because I knew I'd be wearing the exact same elastic-waisted black skirt for the indefinite future and also having weekly full-length pictures taken after you have a baby sounds like about as much fun as... I don't know, a root canal? 

In the end I went for it, knowing that there were no actual consequences if I quit at any time. And I did it! There are a few weeks where the only difference in two outfits is which necklace I wore, but that's totally legit (I make the rules). And it's honestly really fun to look back - I'm not joking when I say that Monday-Saturday I wear athletic shorts, yoga capris and black stretch pants with varying graphic tees, reserving jeans and shirts without words for only the very special-est of weekday occasions, so Sundays are my guilty pleasure day of actually getting dressed.

SO, here's the rundown, complete with commentary:
January 1st was a Sunday - don't I look thrilled to still be pregnant? Jack was born two days later, hence my awesome sweatpants/sweatshirt get-up the following Sunday. That was my uniform for several weeks. The last picture was when I get dressed up and sneaked out for a RS activity two weeks after Jack was born; I didn't get a picture that Sunday so I'm counting it :).

One last week of staying home on Sunday before I donned black to return to church. The third picture was Super Bowl Sunday, so Jack and I were wearing red and blue and white to cheer on the Giants.

February. Blech.

 February/March. Finally branching out into a couple different skirts, wooo!

 March (starting with Jack's blessing day!) and April (aka when I deem myself presentable enough to enlarge the pictures more, haha).
 
 April and May - I didn't get a full-length shot when I was in Utah visiting newborn Isaac, but can we all marvel at how dark Jack's hair was back then? What on earth happened??

 May Days.

 June. That orange and grey outfit is one of my favorites. The third picture is Father's Day when I spoke in sacrament meeting, hence me nervously clutching my talk and a water bottle...

 June and July
 
 The rest of July. My dad gave me that vest (and a few others) and I was pretty excited to wear it, despite my initial belief that it belongs on a Primary President.

 August! Green skirt was free, courtesy of the ward share 'n swap. I love it.

 End of August/beginning of September. I was clearly struggling with creativity here. The first outfit was blue and orange to mark the beginning of the collegiate football season. The purple and white outfit corresponds nicely with my bright pink skin, since it was the day after fall soccer started :).

 September! My long-awaited blue maxi dress, ahhhh. I can't wait to bust it out again next summer.

 October. The first picture is from a temple date the Friday of General Conference weekend. And my tights in the black and purple outfit are spider web tights and I really, really love them.

 October and November; the middle picture is from the temple open house but I stayed home from church that Sunday with sick little boys.

 November and December - another vest from my dad! Also, I was particularly unphotogenic that day, sadly leaving this action shot as the best option.

 December.

 The last Sunday of 2012, featuring new tights that were in my stocking and a new shirt from my mother-in-law. The entire family went to church wearing blue and green and that kind of mass color coordination brings more joy to my heart than it probably should :). 

And that's my extremely shallow, self-absorbed 2012 fashion wrap-up. I'm not gonna lie, I already have my outfit for next Sunday mostly put together in my head...

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh Jana, you are too cute! You always look FABULOUS!!! Perhaps you should visit our Garden Valley branch sometime to see what true fashion is...

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

This was excellent entertainment for me in the wee hours of this morning! Love it!

jayna said...

This was spectacular. Sadly I will have to live vicariously through you as I cycle through my six church outfits...

Maren said...

Part of my Sunday enjoyment is waiting to see what you're wearing that day. :)
I only got a fraction of a millisecond glimpse of those marvelous blue tights on Sunday. I got to be in Jr. Nursery. Oy!

Andrea said...

You are so fun! I would have totally forgotten to do this after the first week and then given up. A couple of questions beg to be asked tho- I hope they're not too impertinent:
1. Is there a further explanation of the vests? Does your dad really like vests or something? I did not know he was such a vest-man
2. Church 3xs a month is pretty dang good, so don't think I'm judging, but every single month had 3 outfits! Very consistent. Do you skip fast Sundays? (That's definitely the one I would choose.)
3. How did you get so dang sexy?