.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Wedding road trip part three (Hooper Springs)


 Because keeping small (/medium/large) children entertained and happy and out of the way while the church cultural hall was transformed for the wedding reception sounded m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e, Grandma and Pops offered to lead an expedition into Soda Springs to check out some local attractions. We happily tagged along!
 First stop was to a grocery store for kool-aid and other supplies; we sent Chuck in and took pictures while he was gone :). Isn't my niece Courtney darling? I miss her.

 Then it was off to Hooper Springs (after discovering the cool local geyser was out of order. Lame.) As we drove through Soda Springs, I jokingly played the part of tour guide and pointed out funny things and made up 'fun facts' about houses and such.
And (unbeknownst to me) Courtney took pictures of everything I pointed out, hahaha! These were some of my favorites - the turquoise shade of one roof, the awesome gated area on another :). I love that we have this aspect of the trip recorded!

And then we pulled in to Hooper Springs Park:
 
 The first order of business was to dip our cups into the spring of natural soda water so everyone could have a taste of it in its original form.
 It basically tastes like tonic water and most of us spit it back out - some unfortunately back into the spring itself (cough, Mallory, cough, Will).

 Pops easily guzzled down a cup; he grew up on the stuff :). And we liked the sign that clarified it was for drinking, not swimming... hopefully everyone else who visits follows that rule!

 Thennnn things got delicious; Pops mixed the water with kool-aid for a slightly fizzy concoction that went over muuuuch better with me the kids.
 It's blurry, but I love Jack's little red kool-aid moustache.

 After a few more minutes of running around and kool-aid drinking time, we piled back into the van for the drive back to the church for the reception.
Such cute little apple slice eaters!

1 comment:

Maren said...

Yay for Hooper Springs and the slag "hill" thing! Did you get to watch any trucks dump? Maybe they don't work on Saturdays.

Did you guys just add Kool-Aid powder? Or sugar also? We used to add Root Beer flavoring/concentrate and sugar (probably lots) and make Hooper Root Beer. (I know I already told you that, but I just thought I'd share that memory again for my own personal benefit.)

Back in the day the had a clown swing. Hard to describe, but awesome. It was always the highlight of the trip for me.