.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Easter

Family picture after church:
(you probably wouldn't guess this from the stellar quality, but this picture is courtesy of the self-timer on the camera and the [uneven] hood of the van...)

It was Easter recently! And since I am an 'Easter Grinch' (Chuck's words, haha), my dear husband took it upon himself to rally the troops for some egg dyeing the day before:
 He even did the necessary hard boiling of said eggs. Oh, funny story: we obviously had the boys strip down to just their shorts for the festivity, so when I came to sit down Will asked if I wanted to dye eggs too. When I said yes, he instructed, "Okay, Mom, take off you shirt!" (Don't worry, I didn't.)

 Easter itself was really nice; the boys got special pictures of the temple for their rooms (special = I tried my hand at modpodge and managed not to do well with it, despite everyone saying how easy it is to use...) and then we went to church and then came home and did a little Easter Egg hunt before going over to my mom's house and having another one.

The boys also helped my mom decorate her traditional Easter cupcakes (my favorite!!) for her visiting teachees and her students. Cody sneaked a couple, which he totally deserved since he spoke in sacrament meeting that morning to very moved/touched/appreciative/rave reviews.

I love these pictures - Jack was VERY frustrated at having cupcakes so close but unattainable. In the first picture, Cody starts to smile at Jack's pouty face, but in the second one Jack has progressed to almost crying and Cody has progressed to his normal 'uncle' face, which basically says, "Oh no, I'm so sorry, please don't cry, I'll do anything, really, anything, do you want a cupcake? I'll give you one! I'll give you five! Don't cry, little nephew!!" Haha, love it :).

Quick last shot of my cute pastel-clad boys. Despite Chuck's teasing, I really do love Easter. When I look at my sons and think about what things I want to teach them, the incredible message of the Atonement and the Resurrection is at the top of the list. I don't harbor any illusions that my children are perfect or will never make mistakes in their lives; they certainly will. And that's okay. That's why we're here, to gain a body and experiences and be tested and try every day to be better. And the atoning sacrifice of the Savior and His Resurrection allows us to do all of that. Easter is such a beautiful day of hope and promise and love and peace and comfort; no matter what we're going through or facing, Jesus has gone through it and faced it and triumphed and He will help us do the same. 

As I said, Cody spoke in church that morning. I wasn't able to be there, but I read it afterwards and wanted to share this particular excerpt:
Even when my faith has been at its lowest ebb, I have nearly always had a desire to believe, barring a few times when I had hardened my heart. I testify that in the absence of all else, if we have but a desire to believe, that it is enough to cling to and build on, and that if we continue to strive, asking God’s help, it doesn’t matter how many times we stumble, we are promised that the rest will come.(Cody Braden, 3/31/13)

Good stuff. Happy [belated] Easter!

3 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Love the Cody quote! Looks like a fun and successful Easter!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Your family looks darling in their Easter outfits! And those cupcakes look wonderful! Tell Pam I'm feeling slighted that all these April visits and we've never had her traditional Easter cupcakes!

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

Great shots of Cody and Jack. Soooo true. I like the way I don't even look fazed by poor little Jack. Of course, I was probably the one who said "no-no" when he reached for a cupcake. Usually I'm a better grandmother!!

And to Courtney, my dear: Like, really? I'm going to ever make food with your mother in the house? Plus, remember my 'famous' jello salad I made at your house and then spilled it on your new carpet--oh wait, I think you were gone that trip!!