.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My [anti] political rant



I am a Democrat.





Still there? Here's another shock: I don't hate Republicans. Or Independents. Or Undecideds. Or Apathetics ( I can't hate them - my husband fits into that category).

I am really tired of the political mood right now. When did we decide that if someone doesn't agree with us about how to solve various national problems that it's okay to be mean and nasty and rude to and about them? I understand that it's important for political candidates to talk up their strengths and their opponents' weaknesses, but disrespectful, personal attacks? Seriously not necessary.

And what's REALLY not necessary is the recent round of e-mails being forwarded left and right (literally, LEFT and RIGHT). Don't get me wrong; I'm all for political humor. I even think I can laugh at the gaffes made by Democrats as well as Republicans. But I don't think it's cool to purposefully forward rude, mocking e-mails to people who disagree with you. If you want to keep it within your party, go ahead. My mom and I have all sorts of laughs while we watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. But I don't look up the clips online and send them to my conservative friends. What would that achieve? Nothing, except to create more division.

Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe you and your friends can banter back and forth without feelings getting hurt or comments being taken seriously. That's great. Debate is good; it allows us to more fully understand both what we believe and what the other person believes. But when it becomes disrespectful, personal, and crude? Count me out.

I'm excited to vote in the presidential election in three weeks. I hope that the candidate I support wins. I hope I can get my husband, Chuck "Voting is for Old People" Izatt, to the polls with me (just kidding, he already indicated that he's going to vote - he's voted in every presidential election since turning 18). But most of all I hope that we can respect people that we disagree with and start finding common ground to work together.

Obama '08!

6 comments:

Sam said...

I think the best part about voting is when they announce your name and that you have voted at the polls, because when they ask you your name, for that split moment you can be whoever you want to be. That's when I like to choose my most opposite political friend and say that I am them, and then I can know that in a very special way I canceled their vote. SO this year when you go to the polls make sure you have a specific person in mind to cancel out of voting existence! PS I don't know if they say, " So and So has voted" everywhere, but if they don't then you should find a place where they do

Melissa said...

I am not nearly as eloquent as you, but I completely agree that we need to show kindness even when our viewpoints are different.

mama izatt said...

amen...very well said

Lindsay said...

Political discussions are hard sometimes. Some issues are more sensitive than others and I try to tiptoe if I am talking about one of those issues. But that was a little passive-agressive of that person. Maybe they don't know your political beliefs? But...who doesn't? =)

Lindsay said...

ha - The last episode was SO good. I am watching it now actually as I clean the kitchen. Dwight was hilarious, Jan creepy, all was "as usual." Except for JaM - the phone message was sweet but they didn't say, "I love you." Trouble's a brewin... =(

Holly Cameron said...

I love Jon Stewart. He cracks me up. And I love the chuck comment "Voting is for Old People". Lol.