.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Our 2nd Van-niversary!!


Man, time flies, doesn't it? Especially when you're busy cruisin' the streets in this beaut:
 I can't believe we've been proud minivan owners for two years now. The actual anniversary is on Saturday, but that falls too close to Clyde's birthday on Sunday - hence the celebratory post today. 

  We love our van. A lot. For a multitude of reasons - first and foremost being that it's comfortable and reliable transportation for our family. I'm well aware that having a vehicle that fits everyone that we can afford AND starts 99.9% of the time is the stuff of wishes for some people (it was certainly for me two summers ago when the truck was slowly dying) and I shouldn't take that for granted. 

  But more than that, we just really love our minivan. And if my sole existence in this world is just to prove this e-card wrong, then so be it :).

 Having said that, I sincerely hope that my love of the Uplander doesn't place me in this orbit of soccer mom cheesiness:
 But I think I'm safe. Mostly because A) we don't have a dog and B) by the time I've yelled "GET IN AND GET BUCKLED" for the 18th time, we're all too on edge to be smiling :). Our motto would be more like "Driven by Deep Breaths, Guilt, Apologies, Good Music on the Radio, and Eventually Love".

 The minivan has definitely proven its worth on the road; in two years we've added something ridiculous like 37,000 (that might be a lie, I can't remember what it had when we bought it and it sounds like a lot of work to find out...) miles to the odometer. It's been to Nevada three times, Utah four times, Oregon once, Twin Falls three times, Scout Camp twice, eastern Idaho once, and here, there, and everyone around the greater Treasure Valley.
 And I have to say, my appreciation of the Uplander for road-tripping purposes increased immensely as we traveled to Oregon with me primarily in the middle and back rows (our cute carsick passenger scored shotgun). It was loads more comfortable and roomy than I even realized, and interior roominess had been one of my requirements back in our car-shopping heyday.

 The minivan also reinforces one of my favorite things about Chuck: the confidence he possesses in his own manliness that leaves him totally unfazed by the prospect of driving such a vehicle. This possibly has something to do with the fact that were someone to challenge his manliness, he could very easily produce a highly enviable beard within hours that would effectively quiet all haters.

Our minivan also stands as a reminder that every day I get to do what I grew up wanting to do: driving wee children to school/church/doctor's appointments/soccer/basketball/t-ball/McDonald's/etc/etc. And by that I mean, you know, be a mom. I'm grateful that Chuck and I have three sweet, rascal-y boys that necessitated the minivan purchase. Which is why I'll try to summon extra love/gratitude/patience next time I'm on a "GET IN AND GET BUCKLED" rant. Wish me luck.

And finally, I think this e-card eloquently sums up the most important aspect of owing a minivan:
Daaaang straight he does! Happy van-niversary honey!

5 comments:

Holly Cameron said...

Oh my! Ridiculous. I'm still not convinced. You need some of your soccer mom pics in this post. I love that you love your minivan and you aren't driving a geo around...haha.

K and Em said...

Ha Ha you crack me up. Love all the e-cards. I'm more of a full-size van type of girl, but the love you have for your mini-van is quite respectable. Actually- YOU make it cool!!

Anonymous said...

I love riding around in your van and I love when it comes to Nevada. I admit that I still miss our big van. Makes me sad we don't have it any more.

jayna said...

I laughed. You are funny. I used to be a hater, but now I can't wait to trade in for a minivan. Four kids...I surrender.

Instead of those cutesy family stickers on the back window I want a bumper sticker that says "I used to be cool." and then a license plate that somehow reads "giant driving uterus". I haven't quite worked out how to narrow that phrase down to 8 letters...

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

This post is exactly why I love you.