.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Cubmaster, out.


In a development that has rocked my boy-central world, I was recently released from my church calling as Cubmaster. After serving in Cub Scouts for three and a half years, I was starting to feel like a 'lifer', but the good Lord apparently has other plans for me at this time (man, that sounds ominous, doesn't it??).

But before I was officially released, I got to take my boys to one last Cub Scout day camp, hooray!
 Cameron, Joseph, Ethan, Seth, Caleb, Noah, Jared, Sister Izatt, Sister Holladay.

It was really fun; we went to the same park in Caldwell as last year but luckily it was MUCH cooler (we went before the crazy heat wave hit). 
 The theme was space exploration...or alien adventures... or something like that :). The boys made harmonicas and leather patches and space shuttles and shot bb guns...

and did archery and made parachutes and made rockets and played frisbee golf and went on a nature walk and overall had a blast.

I love how our church operates - all positions within the ward structure are filled by members of the ward who volunteer their time and expertise - or lack thereof, in my case :). When I was initially called as the Wolf den leader back in January of 2010, I had NO idea what I was doing - but I learned quick! (And what I didn't learn, I made up. Seemed to work out all right.) It was such an incredible experience to jump into a program that I knew nothing about with boys that I didn't know at all and grow to love them so, so much. I cried buckets when the Bishop told me that I was being released - and then he cried too, which didn't help, haha.

I'm excited/nervous/intimidated about my new calling (Relief Society Activity Committee Chairperson...sheesh, even the title is intense!) - planning activities for grown women will require a slightly different mindset than planning activities for eight-to-ten year old boys! Luckily I get to work with the incredible Emily B and I have super awesome ladies on my committee that I'm excited to get to know better. And as my doctor wisely reminded me the other day (what? doesn't everyone discuss their church callings during their annual ob/gyn appt??), "[W]hom the Lord calls, He qualifies." (President Monson) I figure I proved that true as a Scout leader, so I'll do the same now; I look forward to working hard and growing spiritually (and also probably physically, refreshments are a big deal in RS) as I serve the wonderful Relief Society sisters in my ward.

And I figure any time I'm feeling sad or miss Scouts, I'll just pull my super-flattering tan Scout shirt out of the closet and remember that I don't have to wear it on a regular basis any more!! :)

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Actually, I think you should take some of those fun things you did with the cub scouts and do them with the RS. Our activities are kind of boring.