.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Our destination was in our journey - or something like that.

We decided to take the roundabout way on our recent road trip to Elko so that we could stop in Jerome and visit our friends Will and Kari and their three sweet boys. Here's eight-month-old Andrew taking down Will. Clyde and Nathan are about nine months apart (Nathan's older) so we had all sorts of fun learning to share :) Six-year-old Ryan showed us all of his cool inventions and creations, including an elongated recorder. And Chuck got to wrestle with extra little boys!
I figure it was good practice since I predict all boys for us.
After our fun visit we drove through Twin Falls and lo and behold we found the Rite Aid was going through liquidation!
I worked at a Rite Aid after Chuck and I got married, first at the check-out and then as a supervisor, right up until I was eight months pregnant with Clyde (that was a fun summer!) so of course I had to go in and check it out. There weren't any fabulous deals, but I picked up a few things.

Then we went to the cemetery where my mom's parents are buried.

I didn't realize until I saw the picture afterwards that it's a little unseemly to look SO happy at a gravesite, but I feel no anxiety about their eternal resting place, so why not be happy? I love them lots and I'm so glad they're together and able to rest. I will concede that a 'closed-mouth' smile may have been more appropriate, however.
Clyde liked spelling out the names, especially his own (he's named after my grandpa, Clyde Hunter).
As we were leaving we made a funny discovery - 'cemetery' sounds a LOT like 'Sam and Terri', especially to a two-year-old. I was trying to teach a quick spiritual lesson about how when we die our bodies stay at the cemetery while our spirits go to heaven and then after the Resurrection our spirits and bodies will come back together, but it turned into a discussion about how Sam and Terri weren't there, and how we weren't on our way to see them. This put Clyde into a solemn mood quite appropriate for a cemetery - I guess I could learn from him . . .

6 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

you guys take the best little trips!! I am so jealous :)

jayna said...

That was the most chipper expression I've ever seen next to a headstone.

Families are forever, and all that, you really take happily. good for you!

mama izatt said...

I just assumed you loved your grandparents. You just look happy thinking about them.

Sam and Terri said...

All boys for you eh? Jana I want some nieces so its not weird when we play with each others hair.

And that whole cemetery think is still making me laugh. I am still coming to terms with the fact that we are now associated with dead people.

Sam said...

Hey, whatever pulls them away from the "green eggs and sam" stuff is fine with me!

Holly Cameron said...

Clever. Sam-and-Terri...Cemetery. Your kids are geniuses!