.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Da Boys


[I was going to get real corny and title this post 'Da Boys in Dacember' but I just couldn't do it. Sighhh]
I have a lot to blog about December, buuuut that sounds like a lot of work and last night's episode of Elementary isn't going to watch itself (I'll be stuffing New Year's cards as I watch. Oprah calls it multi-tasking) so until all of that gets covered in-depth, here's a quick look at what each of my cute boys was up to at some point in December:

1. Jack looking like the chatty neighbor kid on Home Alone:
 Please tell me you see it. I don't know why, but as soon as we put that hat and coat on Jack, all I could think about was that kid. In my mind, they were twins (that were, you know, different ages). I was pretty bummed out when I actually googled a picture and found the similarities were less striking than I initially would have bet my life on, but I still think there's a resemblance... anyone? 


2. Will and me singing one of our favorite songs, 'Ho Hey' by the Lumineers. (that link takes you to an older, live recording of the song that's my personal favorite. Apologies for the incidental language and subject matter in the background chatter...)

Will LOVES music and when this song came out and I listened to it a lot, he quickly proclaimed it his favorite. I frequently sing the boys a medley of songs (I love you in the morning/You are my sunshine/I love my boys - a Jana Izatt original) and we usually stick the Ho Hey chorus on the end. Anyhow, this day we were listening to it and decided to make a video. First up is our attempt with some lead-up that shows a pretty accurate glimpse of our day to day interactions (Clyde is reading, Jack is not very clothed and also hitting people, etc):

 and then here's a quick one of just the song (I think Clyde provides background vocals)
Ahhh, I love this age that Will's at - I keep telling him we're going to skip March 26th this year so he has to stay 5, but he kindly tells me that he has to grow up, but he'll come and visit. [cue tears - damn pregnancy hormones!!]

 3. And finally, Clyde had a fun encounter with my ring finger just before Christmas that left me slightly terrified that I had (half!) blinded my oldest child.
 Luckily what I lack in good parenting, I make up for in awesome eye patch/bandana creation skills!!

Here's the story: Clyde kept bugging me on Monday afternoon about when we were going to decorate gingerbread houses, even though he had been told about twelve thousand times that we were waiting for Chuck to get home from work that evening. So of course he asked again and I responded with something like "Hey buddy, what did I say would happen if you kept asking?" and to make my point more clearly, I moved my hand to [LIGHTLY! I promise! I don't even spank!] flick him on the forehead... unfortunately, at the same time, he moved towards me and so my extended ring finger jabbed him right in the eye.

The next few minutes are a blur of wailing (Clyde) and tears (probably both of us) and immense guilt (me, duh). We finally calmed down and the combination of the warm damp washcloth and the pink headband along with lego videos on the computer helped us get through the rest of the evening. 

Unfortunately, the next morning he woke up in a lot of pain again and the internet seemed to think he might have a scratch on his eye. DANG. So I called the doctor and made an appt to take him in (keep in mind it's December 24th at this point. HO HO HO).
 I stuck him in the bath, and he actually seemed much better afterwards - the sensitivity to light was mostly gone, but it was still pretty red and swollen. 

Grandma Pam met us at the doctor's office to wrangle the two little ones and Clyde was given absolutely stellar care. I was bummed that our regular pediatrician wasn't in the office, but the one there was excellent. They took us into a dark procedure room and put special drops in Clyde's eye and then busted out a black light to look for an abrasion. Happily, there were none to be found. Dr. Booth said that Clyde's reflexes probably kicked in quickly enough that I just jabbed his closed eye, hence the bruising and swelling. (PARENT OF THE YEAR, I tell ya.)

They fixed him up with a slightly more professional looking get-up (I think the elf ear look was particularly appropriate) and sent us on our way. Clyde sported that for another hour or so and then took it off and hasn't looked back (hahahaha, horrible parent but excellent pun skills!!).

[Hmm, I feel like I should have re-ordered this so we ended on me singing with one of my sons, not me causing bodily harm to one of them... but that sounds like a lot of work to go back and change, so we'll roll with it! Have a great day everyone!]

3 comments:

Holly Cameron said...

Ok. ADORABLE!!! Maybe this is my new favorite post. When I was watching your super cute videos Ella starts freaking out from her high chair. See she even missing you all! Adorable. That's all I have to say. P.S. Jack does look like the kid in home alone...you're not alone in thinking that. And Clydes eye patch...good work!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

I still think you are a good parent.

jayna said...

This is a post worthy of a new background. I laughed, Clyde cried, it was all encompassing. You are awesome sauce. But your boys are beyond darling. I wanted to be sad about Clyde crying and his eye all injured but I couldn't see through my own tears over the fact that such insanely gorgeous eyelashes have been given to your boys rather than my girls. I'm working through my grief.
P. s. do these vans get good gas mileage? Bring me back something French!