.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A very cherry May Day


So, last spring there was a cherry tree floating around (not literally) looking for a home, so we grabbed it from our friends and then promptly stuck it in the backyard. Not in the ground or anything, just... in the backyard.

And it lived! For the last year it's just chilled (often literally) in its little bucket in the backyard, so we officially deemed it hearty enough to [possibly] survive an Izatt upbringing. So one Wednesday evening we gathered up some shovels for a good old-fashioned tree plantin'.
 If you can look at this picture and NOT start singing "Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work we go" then I'm not sure we can be friends.
 
Clyde informed me pretty early on that this was a 'man activity', although he later amended it to a "man/family activity'... when he was tired of shoveling and wanted me to relieve him.
We picked a lovely spot in our front side yard and we're super psyched to watch this little cherry tree grow and eventually yield delicious cherries for us to eat. 

As a treat for his our hard work and in anticipation of our future bounty of cherries, Chuck set out to perfect a chocolate cherry cobbler recipe in the Dutch oven.
And of course it was delicious. I should know; I ate my serving, polished off what the little boys left, and then had one more serving after my run (what? I'm sure I burned off the calories in at least four spoonfuls...). I also might have had some for breakfast the next morning, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyhow, it was a very happy cherry day, hooray!

2 comments:

Kiley said...

you have the cutest boys!

Holly Cameron said...

You guys are such a blast!