.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Save yourself a trip to the doctor's office:


Tongues are very resilient!
Last Saturday morning the little boys and I were on a bike ride and we decided to venture over to the park where our stake was hosting a Pioneer Day breakfast and celebration. We rode up, locked up the bike, and I turned Clyde loose on the playground while I shadowed Will as he meandered around on the nearby sidewalk. The newfangled design in parks lately is to have curved ladders that wee ones climb to get onto the play structure, as seen on the left in this picture:
(These pictures are actually of the park closer to our house that we frequent often.)
The curved ladders make Chuck really nervous, but I've always maintained that Clyde can handle them just fine. As long as he goes slow and doesn't get too excited while he's on them, he has really good balance and holds on to the sides and is safe and sound.
This time, however, he fell. And it was higher than the ones he's used to, and of course it was at the very top. He bit his tongue pretty good so after he calmed down we headed back home to further assess the damage. We were nervous that it was such a big gap, so that afternoon I took him into an immediate care clinic, where after an hour and a half wait the doctor (very nicely, though) took exactly thirty seconds to tell me Clyde was fine. The bite didn't go all the way through the tongue, and because of all the germs in mouths and the risk of infection, they don't do stitches unless the tongue is like hanging by a thread (I'll leave you with that mental picture for a minute).

And he was right, here we are a week later and it's pretty much completely healed: (can you tell this picture is from my phone?)

So Chuck was right about the ladders, but I doubt I'll be able to keep Clyde off of them. Maybe we should just avoid playground equipment entirely!

4 comments:

jayna said...

Clyde totally has 'park cred' now. It's a milestone any mother could be proud of.

Leslie said...

I certainly wouldn't recommend a swing set in your back yard with the record Clyde has! Glad he's healed up so nicely. Hopefully he used the injury as an excuse for a lot of popsicles and ice cream.

Sam and Terri said...

Holy Smokes that is a huge gash in his poor tongue. I strongly believe that if we tallied up the number of times I have been to the doctor and the number of times Clyde Monster has been, he would have me beat by a long shot in just his short, almost three years of life.

I think it is a race who will get ulcers first, you because of Clyde or me because of Sam. Any bets?

Melissa said...

I think that is an injury that every mother takes a child in for at one point or another, just to be told exactly what you were. Yup, been there done that. :)