.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Smiling that frown away

In an effort to stay positive this week, I decided to list a few of my favorite current reasons to smile/laugh/be inspired. ( I realized I had to do more than just my 'positive thinking' from Sunday, because somehow I ended up with two sad, sick little boys all week - Clyde took one for the team and woke up Sunday morning with a pretty high fever to get himself out of the concerned looks his forehead would have received at church :) )

* The Biggest Loser. I feel a little like one admitting this, but I am seriously obsessed with this show. I've never watched a season of it before, but I stumbled upon the season premiere one bored evening, and I am hooked. I made Chuck watch it with me one night, but he couldn't take the crying - my crying. I tear up at least three times an episode, mostly when they all help each other. I stay up late on Tuesday nights to watch it after class, then I promptly get online and read all of the discussion boards, although to my credit I don't actually participate in them. Yet. Seriously, though, the contestants work so amazingly hard and I love it. My favorites are Tara, Filipe, Sione, and Mike. The promos for next week, where Mike makes some huge sacrifice for Aubrey? I rewound it and cried - hello, I don't even know what it is, but I cried!
This is the best picture I could find of my faves, just switch out Kristin and put in Sione :)
* Next, roses. Specifically orange-ish/yellow-ish roses. My sweet sister-in-law Melissa was briefly in town this week and she brought me a lovely bouquet - how did she know that I had just had to throw away my Valentine's Day flowers? Thanks doll!
* Ellen. About a month ago I recorded an episode of Ellen DeGeneres' talk show to watch a certain segment and I almost died laughing. She is SO hilarious; I've always known she was super funny but her show is great! Chuck set all of them to record for me, and it makes my day so much better. My favorite thing ever is an audience participation game called Blindfolded Musical Chairs. I can watch it over and over and laugh so hard I (almost) wet my pants. They've played the game four or five times in the last month, including once with the Jonas Brothers which was pretty funny. Here are two clips, the others are easy to find on youtube as well:
They will change your life. Just tonight I was feeling sorry for myself since Chuck is at work, and I looked these up and laughed and laughed. The best part is when the people run into each other. SO FUNNY.
* No car payment: my car is paid off! Well, technically, my 'station wagon' is paid off: Heck yeah! I was raised in station wagons (actually, I was raised in a house, but we drove around in station wagons) so I love them. I am glad that mine now is a little more polished that the ones of old, although the fold up seats in the very back would come in handy.


* And my final reason to smile tonight is that Sam and Terri are coming tomorrow! They'll be here late and only until Sunday afternoon, but I'm very excited; we haven't seen them since November. It will be nice for my dad to have three of his kids at the funeral on Saturday (here's a link to my grandma's obituary: Lois Edith (Montgomery) Braden).
I love when Sam and Terri come for many reasons: I'm going to try to fit in a Costco run with Terri and her fabulous membership card and maybe Clyde will recruit one of them to dance with him during the opening song on Cars; I get winded easily.

Plus, my 'abstinence' assignment is over and they're bringing cookies!

10 comments:

Just Jaime said...

LOVE The Biggest Loser too! But I HATE Tara! Love Sione and Felipe and Kristin! We should discuss!

Meghan & Chase said...

I'm so sorry about your grandma, I hope you will feel better hearing what a wonderful person you are and the positive impact you have always had on others (even ones you haven't seen in years! :) Jana I give my experiences in YW a lot of the credit for my testimony- without you as a friend I don't know where I'd be. You're amazing and you do SOOO much!
Also- I LOVE that show too! I started watching at week 3 or 4 and tear up once or twice an episode (chase is usually at class so he doesn't see:) I love Sione Filipe, Kristin, and Mike. Who wouldn't want to watch a show that's positive and about changing your life for the better?
Also- I remember your family station wagon- that made me smile

jayna said...

Tyler and I sometimes watch Biggest Loser...and become biggest losers by crying during the random episode. So you're not alone on that one.

Have fun with Bob and his lovely wife!

Melissa said...

I'm glad that the roses made you smile. I actually considered doing something else because I knew you had roses for Valentine's Day. I'm glad I stuck with my plan.

Thank you SO much for sharing the Ellen link. I have not laughed so hard in a long time. Seriously, my cheeks hurt.

Hooray for paying off a car!

Mmmm cookies.

I'll be thinking of you this weekend. Prayers for you and your family.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

You are too cute! Congratulations on having your car paid off

So sorry to hear about your grandma

Leslie said...

So glad you've joined the Biggest Loser ranks. I had no idea! Does that mean you still have Wednesday's episode on the DVR? ;) I missed it because of conferences and am going through withdrawal. At least I don't go to the message boards though. :) I really think Bob will quit after this season as a result of them switching the teams up.

The Ellen clips are HILARIOUS! I've heard them play blindfolded musical chairs (I listen to her on the radio on the drive home) but it's MUCH funnier with the visual.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours during, especially tomorrow.

mama izatt said...

Yay for paying off your car. We'll be thinking of you this weekend.

mama izatt said...

Yay for paying off your car. We'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Ginger said...

I'm a huge biggest loser fan too! I'm totally torn this year though between watching it and American Idol. Filipe and Sione are my favorites too. Did you know they are memebers? Filipe served his mission in my sister-in-law's ward. His name was Elder Fa, and he used to tell them that it used to be Elder Fat, but he got so hungry that he ate the "T". Funny.

Holly Cameron said...

I am also secretly obsessed with biggest loser and get this Ellen! I love love love Ellen and my dream job would be to be a fitness instructor. Anyways. Yay for paying off the good ole station wagon. She seems to be still treating you all well.