.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hello, my name is Jana



. . . and I am a cookie-holic. It has been two days since my last cookie.

One of the classes I'm taking online this semester is a Health Studies class called Drug Use and Abuse. I thought it sounded interesting and I had some elective lower division credits available, so I signed up. Obviously the class deals with addiction, so here is our current assignment:
"Behavior Change Assignment: Students are requested to identify an activity or substance that is used on a daily basis, preferably something that helps them cope with life. You will be asked to discontinue use and then refrain from this activity or substance for the two weeks of February 10 - February 23, 2009." (courtesy of my syllabus, which is courtesy of C. Glorfield) We're supposed to journal our experiences and write a five page paper about our adventure, due at the end of March.
As luck would have it, I don't rely on any terrible substances or activities to get me through the day (I figure it'd be an automatic 'A' if I could credit the assignment with helping me kick my coke habit, right?) so I consulted with Chuck about what I could give up for two weeks. He suggested facebook and/or blogs.
That obviously wasn't an option.

As the 'start date' grew closer, I started noticing how quickly we've been going through cookies around here lately, both store-bought and home-baked. Mostly consumed by me. I get so peckish in the evenings and a cookie always sounds good . . . but three or four (or five) cookies sounds better! And I'm usually up late doing homework after having dealt with two sweet and darling but needy children all evening by myself, and I assure myself that I deserve cookies as a reward. They've definitely been helping me 'cope with life'. This really hit home on Tuesday when Chuck was looking for the package of Oreos I had purchased on Monday. It was pretty embarrassing to admit to him (and now to all of you!) that I had eaten the entire package (save one that Clyde managed to get his grubby little hands on) in a 30-hour period.

So with a heavy heart I decided to give up cookies for two weeks. You'll notice that I'm not committed enough to give up sweets or junk food in general, especially around Valentine's Day. Since our house was at that point cookie-free, Chuck insisted that I buy more so that there would be an actual temptation, so our pantry now contains some deliciously soft sugar cookies courtesy of the fine bakers at Wal-mart. I think I can do it, though - two days down, only twelve to go!

(There was the potential for a slip-up yesterday afternoon when I was trying to finish preparing for a presentation, Chuck had gone to work early for a meeting, Clyde was grumpy and Will was crying, but luckily I hadn't purchased any cookies yet, so I had to settle for a handful of chocolate chips to help me cope - near miss, eh? )

9 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

so glad you're not giving up your blog! What would we all do with out it Ü

Melissa said...

You brave, brave woman. I don't think I could give up cookies. I too recently went through a package of Oreos very quickly. Probably only 48 hours. the package of orange Milanos Kevin came home with one night? Yea, one sitting,less the one mom had, she put her hand back in the package to get another and I had to confess to have already eaten them all.

Oh and blogging and Facebook are not addictions. They are necessary communication tools!

Meghan & Chase said...

mmmmm....oreos- I may need to run to the store. Try not to picture what I will do when I get home, I don't want to tempt you :)

mama izatt said...

I'm so glad you didn't give up blogs...I don't know if I could go without reading them. Could I substitute cake for the cookies?? I might be okay.

Sam and Terri said...

I know how to get through this rough time. Go to Marie Callendars. There pies are on sale right now for real cheap. And then whenever you get tempted to eat a cookie, just eat some pie. Also the valentines candy will be on sale by now, so go stock up. I guarantee you will forget all about the cookies.

Leslie said...

I think your professor is incredibly selfish. After all, the country is in a serious recession. The last thing anyone should do is cut back on spending, especially on such nutritious foods. This little project may risk putting Nabisco and a few other companies' employees at risk of losing their jobs if other classmates should join you on this two week sabatical from cookies.

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

You are so funny!! I bet you'll be able to give up the goods your a strong woman!!

Emily said...

Jana,

in you next moment of weakness, PLEASE come over to my house and eat with me. I love cookies too, and donuts (Especially the Old Fashioned Glazed ones. Yes, I ate almost a whole box the other night by myself) And... Trav just bought me an entire cheese cake for Valentines day! Seriously, I'm with you, you're just stronger than I am. And by the way, those cookies are REALLY, really small, so eating the whole thing is really not a bad thing. Infact, I'm impressed. I'll let you know how the cheese cake goes this week!

Holly Cameron said...

Ah I love this cookie post. So I have a chocolate chip cookie addiction. Man. They are wonderful. Currently on one. Maybe I should try a detox period and see if anything happens...