.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

March 2k19: School stuff


I've been messing around on Duolingo when I have downtime at work because one of these days I'm going to learn Spanish, dang it. Anyways, this screen made me laugh:



Will's classmates chose him as the example of courage! Chuck and Carma got to go watch him receive the award and it was super cute.

Spring choir concert where Clyde sang a duet with Tessa. They both did awesome; I love all these cute choir kiddos.

Quick side by side of last year's spring choir concert and this year's. Yiiiiikes. Where's my little boy?

These next few pictures are from a bulletin board set up in the staff lounge at school. One of the school counselors accessed this resource and posted it and I was so struck by these tips for de-escalating a situation with a student. I took pictures so I could reference them and make sure my actions were fitting in with them while I worked with kids at school - then I started recognizing situations at home where they were helpful. 





These last three are some of my favorites - so so beneficial and so so hard to do in the moment haha. I  try to remember that when I'm upset or embarrassed or calming down from something, I'm not in the mood for a lecture or someone pointing out where I went wrong. I'm generally doing that on my own already and might push back and get escalated again if I feel like someone is being pushy right then. Makes sense that kids/teenagers would do that even more so. And being neutral - I've watched this in action work so amazingly well. It gives kids a baseline to return to, it makes it not personal, it helps kids feel validated and like they don't have to argue because you aren't taking a side, you're just listening. And it helps kids understand that you're in control of the situation, not them - darn that having to be mature stuff ;). And providing a choice gives some dignity back to the kid, which again can totally be empathized with. ANYways, basically I think these are all brilliant!


PTA dinner night out at Wendy's, hurray!

We rounded up a couple friends so everyone had a buddy - how cute are Grandma Pam and Clyde on a little date? ;) And Carma loved getting a balloon from Wendy herself!

Quick photo op with Miss Overcast and classmate Danessa and Jackers (and his balloon, grrr). Jack and Danessa are good buddies and awesome leaders in their class:

And here's a quick flashback picture from FOUR years ago - Will and a classmate with our beloved Miss Overcast at Wendy's when he was in first grade! Sarah is The Best. 

I was covering a class one day and loved this poster of more specific emotions and descriptions and where they fit in a more generalized way:

Sometimes I cover a class that Clyde is in. And he's playing Minecraft haha.

Date night at the high school! Chuck and I went to "West Side Story" at Columbia and it was incredible. Subbing in the theater classes there has been one of my favorite jobs and it was so hard to walk away from it to work full-time at East Valley, so it was SO awesome to watch all of the hard work pay off for all these amazing students. And getting all the hugs afterwards was the best!!πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ€©πŸŽ­πŸ˜­πŸ¦ˆ✈️. 


I mean, sometimes unauthorized signs are okay ;).

This announcement was prettttty surprising and such a blessing for us - all day, every day kindergarten! Immediately Chuck and I knew it would be perfect for our family; Carma loves school and never naps anyways so it would be an excellent fit for her and it would allow me to sub as much as I wanted without worrying about childcare. Nampa School District is the best!

Oh man. One day I borrowed some colored pencils from a teacher with the (unsolicited) promise that I would sharpen them before returning. I spent probably an hour sitting at my desk with a little handheld sharpener, twisting pencils around and around and around and around... and I loved it. I loved watching pencils go from being stubby and broken and cast off to being sharp and useful and beautiful. And because I'm a yahoo, I thought way too deeply about it and how much of a reflection of growth it is - how in order to be better and do better, we generally have to stretch and grow and refine ourselves. That growth can be painful, we have to get rid of bad habits or laziness or poor choices... but then we come out of it on the other side being more ready to serve and help others and reach our potential and be a better version of ourselves. I told ya, deep stuff ;).

This sweet offering by Lissette made my day. Possibly my whole week. Maybe month:

I was covering an 8th grade ELA class and they had a warm up challenge to use a group of words in a sentence that made sense. I was pretty proud of mine haha.

Pi Day! EVMS goes all out and has tons of pie for the staff, so you know that Adrian and I hit up the staff lounge a couple times that day ;). Also Jesus (the third member of our three amigos) declined to smile with me for a picture. I'll get him some time.

Things I photograph a lot at school: myself and sunrises and pretty skies. Who am I to deny the beauty of God's creations? ;)

Jack brought home this super cute story he made at school:
Love stories about spending time at Grandma's house!

No comments: