.

Friday, July 14, 2017

October: Adventures with Grandpa


As I brace myself for a hotttt July day, let's remember how beautiful fall in Idaho is by looking at all the fun stuff we did with my dad in October, starting with Linder Farms!
We went on a Saturday afternoon and the kids had sooooo much fun. We spent some of the time all together and then divided and conquered so the older boys could do some of the big stuff.


That tractor driver was possibly overly concerned about the well-being of his pumpkins. 

Will's 'taking a selfie' pose makes me laugh every time I see it. 

The boys attempted some bull-ridin' which was pretty hilarious to watch!

We were in my dad's neighborhood one day after picking up a craigslist bike (I finally talked Chuck into letting me ride a "cute" bike) so we stopped by to say hi.

Our next adventure was to Farmstead! This evening was a bit chillier, hence Jack sporting Grandpa's vest :). One of our favorite things at Farmstead is the little fishing hole, where you're basically guaranteed to catch (and release!) a fish if you stay there long enough.
I'm squeamish so I try to stand as far back and take pictures whilst reminding my kids that I will not be jumping in after them if they lean too far over and fall in the water - that's why Chuck is there ;).

The boys headed in for some farmin' warfare:
We all took a ride on the cow train, which I honestly love. If there were a ride like this at Lagoon where you just sit and get driven around and it's a little bumpy (which is the highest level of exhilaration I'm comfortable with), I would be all about that.

The burlap sack slide! Another favorite there, even if its exhilaration level is slightly outside my overly cautious comfort zone ;). 

We can verify that the jumpy pillow thing IS slippery when wet, as it was sprinkling slightly during our time on it and my kids couldn't stay on their feet to save their lives haha.

Corn pit! I literally have no idea why Will stuck his head in (is it an ostrich that does that?? Some kind of bird that prefers ignorance to bad news...) or if it even felt good, but whatev!
One of the last activities we hit up was the apple shooter, which the boys all loved. Grandpa ate a bite of each apple for good luck ;).

Chuck and Dad embarked on some friendly competition in football and basketball:
Tough break about Carma and Will ending up in jail :(. We took quite a few rides on the "Bee Line" zip line which is always fun and only slightly alarming when you almost scrape the ground towards the end (I feel like I always get the low seat... there is a low seat, right?). The boys and I tried to take Chuck down in a tug-o-war challenge and while I'd like to say we put up a decent fight, that's probably not super accurate haha. 


Our last adventure with Grandpa in October was a beautiful bike ride along the greenbelt by his house:
It's so crazy to see that spot with the bench by the river and realize how flooded it's been over the last few months after the crazy winter snow and spring rain!


We biked a ways and then pulled off to explore the river banks a bit:

Naturally a lot of rock throwing occurred - Grandpa got the closest to the other shore, I think!

My dad found a cool idea about using rocks to spell out LOVE so Clyde and I attempted some recreations - I think we did pretty well! Clyde's 'sour lemon' picture on the left is when (in an effort to get him to smile) I asked him if he looooved any girls haha.
Here's my love 😍

Clyde and Will were total champs, of course. I'm so so so glad they love riding bikes so much and I'm so so so grateful that Chuck is a superstar about fixing flat tires and spending the money on good, reliable bikes (even if I complain about his craigslist addiction...)
Jackers was definitely the MVP though - he lasted almost the whole ride on his wee 12" bike (his little legs had to pedal so much and so fast to keep up!!) before calling it a day and climbing in the bike trailer with Carma Junie. We traded around my bike and the bike trailer a bit - Chuck took a turn, as did Grandpa. I love the picture of my dad pulling the bike trailer - if you look closely you can see that he's also carrying Will's discarded sweatshirt. My kids love love love making memories with Grandpa and we're so grateful we got so many chances this month! 💕

No comments: