.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

4th o' July


It just so happens that today is 'Constitution Day' - a fact I learned from Will and his excellent first grade education - so I figure it's entirely appropriate to post this throwback recap of our Independence Day weekend events this year :).

First things first: I'm semi-dreadful at traditions (I always think they sound great, start them off strong, and fail to keep them going after the first few rounds) BUT this is officially the fourth year that Clyde and Will have worn these shirts on the fourth of July:
I know; it's a little sketchy to call this tradition... more like kind of a weird coincidence-turned compulsion... but it makes me laugh, and I rarely require more reason than that to do things!

The day started off, as always, at our ward pancake breakfast. I had enthusiastically volunteered Chuck to help cook, so he arrived real bright and early :).
It was a good, good time; Carma got passed around lots (including a sweet moment with one of her future boyfriends, Abram) and Clyde adorably took to writing the title of his favorite primary song in the sand. (spoiler alert: it's He Sent His Son)

Right after breakfast, we celebrated our freedom by cramming all seven of us + luggage into the minivan for five hours!
Happily, the destination was well worth it: Elko! Chuck and I haven't been to Elko for the 4th of July since Will was a baby, so it was definitely time. Fun fact: this trip marked 11 years since I accompanied my then-new boyfriend Chuck to Nevada to meet his family. We've come kind of a long ways since then, haha. 

We hit the park as quickly as possible and found everyone already in the midst of enjoying the day - food and friends and flags, what more could you want? Will found a good buddy in family friend Ben Neff; I'm hard pressed to say which of them enjoyed their time together (mostly with Will on Ben's shoulders!!) more :).

Carma was a doll and snuggled up to lots of new people - she got to meet (top left to right) cousins Courtney and Lily and Aunt Amanda...
and good family friends Vonda and Ronda (bottom corner, left to right). And I absolutely promise I'm not making up that their names rhyme, haha! And of course Grandma got lots of time with Carma :).

Jack and Anna were SO cute together!

Once it started getting dark, Chuck's mom passed around the glowsticks and the kids... and adults :) ... had loads of fun while we waited for the fireworks to start.
And as always, they were worth the wait!

The next day we met up at Grandma and Grandpa's for a day of fun, starting with water guns and sprinklers on the trampoline since we missed the big water fight at the park the day before:
The porch was a designated 'dry zone', which made it a perfect spot to swing and talk! Bri really wanted to hold Carma, and she did a great job - we kept asking if she was all done, but she kept her for at least 15 minutes :). I love that Carma will grow up with so many fun girl cousins to spend time with.

Pops got his customary baby nap in, and Chuck managed to catch a smile from Pops (bottom right) which is a rarity!! Well, I should say that getting a picture of it is rare; Pops smiles a lot :).
 For an afternoon adventure, we decided on bowling and had a great time.

 I'm pretty sure Chuck and I should join a bowling league in a few years. We obviously have the moves.
 And my dad's diligent instruction from childhood FHE bowling nights paid off again; I won on the grown-up lane.

After bowling, we had just enough time to test out Grandma's homemade ice cream ... churn? maker? device?... primarily operated by Courtney, Bri, and Jack :). They did an awesome job - it was delicious!

Aaaand then it was time to pile back in the van (with a different Blue - we traded George for Courtney!) and head home. It was a quick trip, but so much fun!!
 Happy Constitution Day! Happy late fourth of July! Love America!

3 comments:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Well I happen to love the 4th of July, so this was just like prolonging the happiness to read about it in September. Love those cute Izatt kids!

jayna said...

I love that you guys have a Pops too! So cute to see him asleep with his little granddaughter!

Holly Cameron said...

What a Blast! Clyde and Will matching shirts=love it! Elko=loved that. Ice cream making=adorable. Jack and Anna=even cuter!!