.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

TEN Years


Today is the tenth wedding anniversary of this stunningly attractive duo:
(it's possible that this is the best recent picture of us. Something we're attempting to rectify as part of our anniversary date later this evening...)

Ten years ago, Chuck and I had no idea what we were doing. We were young and impulsive and 'so in love' and stubborn and not prone to overthinking things - and I'm SO glad! I don't know if my 29-year-old self would be as carefree and optimistic and quick to ignore other people's opinions/warnings/dire predictions as my 19-year-old self was. I'm thankful that we didn't necessarily know what was in store or try to anticipate every possible situation or scenario life would hold. 

A year or so ago, I found an article online that detailed all sorts of relationship 'deal-breakers'; they ranged from funny (which direction should the toilet paper roll turn?) to practical (thermostat preferences - this one causes us trouble....) to serious (where do you celebrate holidays? how do you spend money?). As I looked at the list, I was so happy not to have found it while I was engaged - a couple of them might have led to second guessing our plans - mostly the one about 'do both of you like roller coasters?'. Thrilled that Chuck didn't discover my aversion until long after we were legally and lawfully wed!!

Chuck and I took a leap of faith when we followed our guts and the Spirit and got married. Throughout the last decade we've discovered (and let's be honest, created) multiple stumbling blocks - of varying sizes - that threatened to be our collective demise. I'm grateful that during those times, we held hands and chanted our favorite motto ("There's no way out, so we better work it out") and emerged on the other side stronger and happier. 

I'm so grateful for our marriage and I'm even more grateful that through the sealing powers of the temple, our marriage is eternal. This past week we've encountered two horrifically sad losses (one a good friend, one an extended family member of Chuck's) and as I find myself so heartbroken for their respective spouses and children, I'm reminded again of the crucial responsibility I have to nurture and cherish my marriage and protect and honor and be grateful for the time we have together.

I really, really love my husband. There is no one that I would rather have by my side in this life and the next. Chuck is amazing. On our two-person team roster, he is absolutely the MVP and I'm the poor schlep trying not to get bounced back down to the minor leagues :). I'm grateful for his excellent work ethic and his tenderness and his forgiving nature and his firm belief that we are equal partners in our marriage and as parents - and his willingness to back up that firm belief with his actions.

Happy 10th Anniversary sweetheart! I sure do love you.

7 comments:

Emily said...

So sweet! And the toilet paper must roll over the roll ( not under)!!!

Sam said...

"Something we're attempting to rectify as part of our anniversary date later this evening".

Happy anniversary, but please don't post any pictures from this evenings 'events'!!!

Holly Cameron said...

"There's no way out, so we better work it out". My new favorite quote! Luckily I dont think we'd use it very often but it's a good reminder. Hey, congrats. It's kind of creepy that in five years I'll be 29 and married for 10 years...probably wont have four kids though ;) love you guys. Excited to be helful in the rectifying part...I should not be saying that outloud....we sound like creepers.

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

I loved this post! Happy Anniversary!

Maren said...

Love you and love this post! Again, Happy Anniversary!

jayna said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember our 10th anniversary- it felt so crazy to ACHIEVE that! I don't know Chuck besides on this blog but it is evident that he takes good care of you. That makes me happy.

Ok, I mostly care that the two of you produce darling children to steal/admire.

Happy Anniversary!

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember when you two first met! Who would have thought you would find eternal love at Kmart?! So glad you did; you guys are a perfect couple! Love you guys and your amazingly beautiful family!