.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Jack's nursery


Despite my (and probably Chuck's) fervent wishes that third trimester nesting would manifest itself in a newfound desire to scrub floors or deep clean the garage, my only true motivation was to coordinate a fun, cute nursery for baby Jack.

First off, here's the semi-before of this room. It's technically a bonus room since it has no closet. When we first bought our house, it was the guest room for about a year until we combined the boys into one room and moved the guest accommodations to Clyde's old room. We didn't have a pressing need for the bonus room so it became the catch-all room. The train table was in there for a while, our camping gear, shelves of movies, laundry, boxes, etc.

Even before I found out the sex of the baby, I knew I wanted to do a blue and orange room. Instead of finding new bedding, I used Will's light blue crib bumper and a cute blue and orange blanket that my mother-in-law picked up when Will was a baby.

A Boise State inspired nursery worked out pretty well since our posters from the first Fiesta Bowl were already hung up in this room, so we added Chuck's BSU flag (courtesy of his sister a couple of Christmases ago) and called this wall good to go.

I love having the boys' names in their rooms; here are Jack's letters drying after their final coat of paint.

Aaaand here they are up on the wall, where they will remain FOREVER because I don't want Chuck to see how much damage I inflicted upon the poor wall while I was power drilling the screws in.

I randomly decided to get crafty (which is hilarious because I can't sew, hot glue guns scare me, and I'm the exact opposite of a perfectionist) and make some canvas word art.

So I painted some canvases, used my cricut to make stencils of the letters and painted the letters in white on top.

And then I utilized a kitchen chair, some pushpins, and my own questionable sense of spacing and leveling to hang the finished product above the window.

Here's a close-up. This makes me happy every time I walk into Jack's room!

For my next craft-y decor idea, I wisely opted to recruit other people! I started with Clyde and Will and then expanded to other extended family members, giving each person a blank canvas and blue and orange paint and having them create a piece of artwork for Jack's room.

Here's a cheatsheet with the artists identified. We're still waiting for a few more to be finished.

Here are the most recent additions that still need to be hung up. I think it will be really fun for Jack to have these pictures to look at as he gets older.

And finally, here is the corner of the room that both Jack and I cite as our happy place, aka where we hang out eight times a day when Jack nurses! Eventually the glider will be recovered in light blue but so far, purchasing the fabric is as far as Nicole and I have gotten :). For now, Jack and I are completely content with the glider, the bottle of water I keep in the side pocket, the laptop, my boppy (I would not live/breastfeed without it), and Jack's bouncy chair. I love this corner, even at 3am :).

And that's Jack's room!

6 comments:

jayna said...

Very cute, despite my not pretending to understand your bronco fetish. My favorite part though was the sweet baby in the bouncer!!!

McKay & Lynndi said...

You guys did such a great job. I love it. I must say my favorite is the " I am a child of God" above the window. It super cute.

Unknown said...

Nicely done! Now come decorate my kids rooms! The only decor poor benett got was a little shiny nail polish here and there courtesy of Brigitte !

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oooh! it is SO cute!!! if you get a crafty wave again, let me know. i would def buy the 'i am a child of god' wall hangings from you. they are SO cute! love them!! they would go perfectly in jax's bsu room...but i am less crafty than you (for real!!!) so it would have to be something for me to buy...NOT make! name your price :) :)

Emily said...

Way to go crafty girl! Great job!

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

I'm so glad I got to see pictures of this! It turned out cute!