.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Holiday shenanigans part one

I obviously haven't been in any rush to post about our holiday merriment, and there are three reasons for this:
1. I'm still on holiday from school. Unlike the many poor schleps who have been back in school for a week now, my new semester doesn't start until January 20th. See, it's not too late to post about Christmas if you're still on Christmas break!
2. A week ago I read the Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and my life changed. Two days later I read the Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. Yesterday I read the Goose Girl again. Blogging is much less romantic than reading.
3. There are SO MANY pictures. And I have the most ridiculous time trying to post them in any kind of correct order. Which is why there will be multiple posts.
Alas, my birthday is fast approaching and if I'm going to forge a "happy birthday to my wife without whom I could not live" post from Chuck, it should probably come after the Christmas recap. So here we are.
Christmas break began with a weekend trip to Elko to visit Chuck's family. I took my last final on Thursday night and we headed out on Friday morning. It was a slow and snowy drive (so I'm told, I slept most of the way) but we arrived safe and sound and had a very fun weekend shopping, sledding, eating, napping, being spoiled, and the like. Oh, and playing Mexican Train Dominoes- I was dreadful (sorry to my patient teammate, Aleesha) but it was so fun! The highlight was being able to be there as Chuck's younger brother Lee and his beautiful wife Aleesha had their cute-as-all-get-out daughter Cambria Nicole blessed. She looked so darling in her little white dress and Grandpa Izatt gave her a really sweet blessing.
We stopped in a little town along the way so that Will could eat, and Clyde took the opportunity to throw his first snowball. Deprived child, I know - that's why I was the target.
Will snuggled right up to Pops and donned his first article of camo clothing.
Pops delighted all the wee grandchildren (and adult children as well!) by setting up the train around the Christmas tree. It was deluxe - multiple tracks, two trains, and plenty of kids to derail it! Clyde was obviously mesmerized.
As was Will.
Oh, did I forget to mention that Santa came? 'Cuz he did. Clyde was content to stay on Daddy's lap, but Gus-Gus, er, Will didn't mind being passed around (excuse his double chin, it's a poor angle).
Grandma Izatt helped the kiddos make gingerbread men, notice Clyde eating the M & M buttons off of his.
The four of us got to enjoy our own mini-Christmas as we opened gifts from the rest of the (very generous) family. We got all sorts of fun things that we're excited to use - thanks everyone!
The six participants in the Izatt Extended Family Baby Boom of '08: Melissa and Lily (January), Jana and Will (March), and Aleesha and Bri (July). Cute babies, cute moms!

It was so fun to see everyone and we're grateful it was a safe trip to and from!

4 comments:

mama izatt said...

I don't know which picture I like better...the one of me or all the babies and their moms. We had a GREAT time! I'm so glad you came.

Melissa said...

It was so fun to have you here!

If I had those books around I would be reading instead of blogging too.

I can't wait to see more of your pictures.

Sam and Terri said...

Well its about time, I was getting tired of blog stalking old posts. But alas our patience has paid off.

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. We definitely missed you guys this Christmas!

PS I loved that book also.

Sam and Terri said...

Also, I think I am getting a little too addicted to this blogging thing. Maybe this was a bad idea.